Sunday, June 10, 2018

Saint Mary, MT and Glacier National Park


I awoke to take Henry out for his walkie, to find it misting. Not too promising for a day of sightseeing! Later, when it began sleeting – SLEETING! – we checked weather predictions, to find tomorrow’s forecast a little more fair. So Sue and I pretty much decided to hunker down and make this a catch-up day for laundry, journaling, photo-editing, etc.

We could probably use the rest and the slower pace, but I was a little disappointed. Then it cleared a little bit, and I saw this rainbow, taking it as a sign that everything would be all right.


Earlier, on the walkie and near the bathrooms, Henry and I had found what may have been elk or moose scat. Heck, it might have even been bear scat … which would be maybe just a bit TOO exciting for me!

Sue had gone to the KOA office, and got into conversation with a man who’d been working on clearing snow from the Going-To-The-Sun Road. She and I were already prepared not to be able to be able to take that drive, as we’d seen a newspaper article yesterday, saying that snow accumulation was greater than normal and that the Going-To-The-Sun Road would probably not open all the way for another couple of weeks. Whoever had been interviewed for the article had added that it was a serious and very dangerous situation, and that anyone who could not be patient and understanding about it probably shouldn’t be driving on that particular road anyway! Wow.

But in their conversation, the man revealed that snow drifts at the Continental Divide were well over 50 feet, which exposed workers to the very real threat of avalanche. Incredible. For me, unimaginable.

By early afternoon, we decided to brave the weather, to go into Glacier and as far as we could go on the Going-To-The-Sun Road. Most of the driving was done in sleet, but it was still breathtakingly beautiful in spite of the sleet and the fog.

  

I got out a few times, once to get pelted with ice – kind of like mini-hail. It stung! But I still got some great photos ...
  


  

After a few miles we reached the barricades. We expected as much, so were not at all disappointed at being unable to drive further. Instead, we changed course and headed toward Many Glacier, to scout out the situation there. The road was pretty bumpy, and not nearly as scenic. But at this lower elevation, it was a lot more clear, and I caught a pretty view of Lake Sherburne.

  

Turns out, all of the glaciers require hikes to get back to them. Not today! (In fact, not any time soon for a couple of them, as their hiking trails are still inaccessible.) Maybe tomorrow, by boat, we can see a few.

Had dinner at the Cattle Baron Supper Club. It looked exactly as you’re probably imagining it. Food wasn’t as great as you’d want it to be, but it was OK.

Today turned out a lot better than we thought it could be. We’ll see what tomorrow brings! Weather here is harsh, but it adds to the spirit of adventure. This is an AMAZING place to visit!

More photos from the Forces of Nature Tour at Flickr.
Click here


 

2 comments:

  1. Marcille, looks like you and Sue had a just fantabulous adventure!

    The pictures were amazing. Loved Glacier and the Going to the Sun road. I first clicked on a story in the middle from you message to me, then worked my way backward and had to move forward again to get to the end. Loved every minute spent reading the blog.

    My favorite I think was the explanation of “Wamakaognaka E’cante” !

    Loved the Kootenai stewardship way of life too!

    Was almost sad not to have another blog to read from you, felt like I was there!

    Thank you so much for letting me feel like that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marcille, it looks and sounds like you and Sue had a fantabulous adventure!

    The pictures were amazing. Loved Glacier and the Going to the Sun road. I first clicked on a story in the middle from you message to me, then worked my way backward and had to move forward again to get to the end. Loved every minute spent reading the blog.

    My favorite I think was the explanation of “Wamakaognaka E’cante” !

    Loved the Kootenai stewardship way of life too!

    Was almost sad not to have another blog to read as I came to the last story, felt like I was there!

    Thank you for letting me share in that wonderful adventure vicariously!

    ReplyDelete